Monday, August 20, 2007

NEW YORK CITY! Get a Rope.

I opened up the local paper today, and read the first section to see whom in the world we have pissed off. Then, I head over to the C section of the paper and see a nice story on Kevin Durant and his chances to make the USA team in basketball, but then a huge picture of the Yankees in the middle of the page overpowers me and I have to look.

The article is all about how the Yankees are the shit and bla bla bla. Never mind you the two first place teams in the country just finished a four game series that ended in a 2-2 split.

Now shocking as it may be, I do not live in Orange County any more, not even Los Angeles or Riverside. My days of working down the street from Anaheim Stadium for the mouse are far behind me, but I do live in a great town (Las Vegas) where everywhere you go you always seem to see Angels gear.

Now as I read the Yankees article, I flip to the next page of the article and it briefly mentions that the next series that the Yankees face is against the first place Angels. Wow a mention. But I still sit in my chair and think, “Do I live near New York?” Nope they are a couple thousand miles from here or a very long and boring Southwest flight away. Where as the Angels are just a reasonable drive away.

I could go to the series tonight and say to those Yankee fans that always show up, “Here’s a quarter call someone who cares.” The sad thing is what I learned that from a Yankee fan back when I was in Jr. High - the Yankee fans out number the Angel fans every time they come to town. But it is our town now, as it never has been, in all the years since the Halos left Chavez Ravine.

All the papers that are on this side of the Mississippi should know that you don’t print a thousand word article about the Yankees. They should do articles on the Diamondbacks, Angels or Padres, the teams that are winning. Even the Mariners who are playing great should be getting more ink than the Bronx Roiders. But I am just venting. Have a good day, go support our Angels and wear your red.

No comments: