Friday, May 4, 2007

Death, taxes, and...

"In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes." - Benjamin Franklin.

After the Angels second consecutive loss to the Royals, I have a few certainties to add.

After an Angels' loss, nothing is certain but...
  • fans wanting to fire Mickey Hatcher
  • fans wanting to fire Bill Stoneman
  • fans complaining that the Angels didn't re-sign Troy Glaus 3 years ago
  • fans complaining that Arte promised us a big bat and didn't deliver.
  • fans complaining that Garret Anderson is too slow
  • fans complaining about the signing of Shea Hillenbrand
I know that there are more to this list, but this is my start.

Well after today's loss, it was with great anticipation that I waited to hear the post game radio show to see how many "certainties" I could check off today. I usually can't listen to an entire post-game show because the callers say stupid things and Rory/Terry gives terrible, uninteresting, monotone, party-line rhetoric for answers. Not to mention it's mostly commercials anyway.

So I switched over to 710 and holy crap, I forgot, D'Marco Farr & Kevin Kiley were taking calls today. A bad day gets worse. As bad as Rory/Terry is, these clowns are worse. Especially when it comes to talking baseball. And especially Kiley. Listening to Kiley is almost as unbearable as listening to Vic The Brick on 570.

One call was all I could stand today and he was all about death and taxes.

The first complaint was about the lack of power in the lineup. Nothing like beating a dead horse. We all know there's a hitting problem, but Juan Rivera, Garret Anderson and Howie Kendrick are all injured. Those three bats are hard to cover. I could go on talking about trades and free-agent signings, etc, but I'll save that for another day. Today we're focusing on Death And Taxes.

Same caller, next complaint - they shouldn't have traded Troy Glaus. Bingo! Well firstly, they didn't trade Glaus, he signed with Arizona as a free agent. Secondly, get over it! What's done is done and it happened a long time ago. You sound like Lakers fans complaining that Shaq left. You can complain today that Weaver didn't pitch too well today or that the Angels bats were cold, but seriously, Troy Glaus?

If you're going to bring up Troy Glaus, why not complain about the Angels not re-signing Wally Joyner back in 1991?

I don't want to get started on the Troy Glaus argument. Today is all about Death and Taxes. And taxes and death.

And, heck the Angels just had a 4-3 road trip which is pretty darn good considering that Mickey Hatcher is still their hitting coach, Bill Stoneman is still their general manager, Shea Hillenbrand is still in the starting lineup and Troy Glaus is still a Blue Jay.

--------------

TV Announcers road records as of May 1st:

Mota & Gubi  4-2 .667
Phys & Hud   1-6 .143
National Fox 0-1 .000

1 comment:

gohalos said...

I agree with your statement about post game callers, I don't even bother to listen anymore. As for the hitting, I think it is contagious, unfortunately, it hasn't caught on with the rest of the line up. I would like to see Izzy in the line up more as IMO he was hitting fairly consistently. Every time Hillenbrand is up I keep telling myself "He's due", yet keep waiting. On a positive note, GMJ is looking good epically in the field, Willis is doing his part to stay in the line up, and Figgy is back. Lets see if they can get a sweep of the Chi sux this weekend.