Thursday, October 4, 2007

Magic

I remember back in 2002 I was working at a bad job, but a job that let me watch my Angels on TV. Funny thing was I had just moved to the Bay Area and even though I was a few hundred miles away from Anaheim I knew that there was something special going on. I could feel it from before they clinched a playoff spot. I watched them in Oakland as they beat the A’s just before the playoffs started. And when the playoffs did start I just knew it was magical. I went out and purchased a 3 inch screen portable TV, (later returned thanks to Target's wonderful return policy) and just knew I would get a lot of use out of it for a month.

Thanks to Scott Spiezio, Adam Kennedy, David Eckstein, Troy Glaus, Garret Anderson, Tim Salmon, Bengie Molina, Troy Percival, Chone Figgins (man he could run), Francisco Rodriguez and others I knew my layaway plan was going to pay off. Magic was in the air.

It was like going into Disneyland as a kid and being in awe of everything. We started with a loss in every one of those playoff series, but I knew we were going to win. And win we did over and over again. Sure there were a few loses sprinkled in, three in the World Series. But even after a lose it was no problem. We had magic.

Before that year we would hear things about the curse that was holding the Halo’s back, it was something to do with an Indian burial ground. I personally think it was due to the 12 or more cups of coffee Perci would drink during a game. JK. But we won and ever since then things have not felt as they did that year.

Was the magic lost with the World Series Championship? No, I do not think so. I still go back to Disneyland and even though I worked there and have seen it in its worst, it is still a magical place. One my five month old will experience this winter. But before then, I also want to think of the magic I feel when I watch the games like I did in 2002, because even though I have been to Disneyland and seen the World Series Trophy, it's still magical and I still think that nothing is going to stop me wishing on a star and believing what I know in my bright Red Angel Fan heart.

No comments: